Dalmatians were bred in Australia
as far back as 1899. They were exhibited at the Sydney
Royal Easter Show up to 1911. They then disappeared
from the show scene. The main breeder of this period
was a Mr Arrowsmith, about whom there is no information
apart from his entries at the Royal Shows.
were not again recorded in NSW until 1930 when Mr
and Mrs Hirst imported Ch Quintus of Caefel and Florenza
to establish their Springmead Kennels. In 1934 Mrs
Olive Macdougall arrived back from England with Dauntless
Dal and Adratic Queen.
breed grew in numbers and at the Kennel Club Show
held in aid of the Legacy Club War Orphans Appeal
on Saturday 5th December 1942, an informal discussion
took place among exhibitors regarding creating a club.
The idea met with unanimous approval and a meeting
Dalmatian Club of Australia was formed on Australia
Day (January 26th) 1943 at a meeting held at the YMCA
in Pitt Street, Sydney.
first Championship Show was held in April 17th 1943
in a park in Werona Avenue opposite Gordon Railway
Station in Sydney. An entry of 163 exhibits were judged
by Mr W Bruce.
the end of 1947 the Dalmatian Club of Australia had
128 members from all states of Australia, from England
and Singapore. The Dalmatian Club of Australia is
one of the oldest breed clubs in Australia. The Club
was the first specialist club in Australia to produce
a Year and Stud Book.
the 1950's the Club went through a difficulat time,
membership dropped and the Club only survived through
a core of dedicated members who often filled multiple
1960's saw the Club celebrate its 25th (Silver) anniversary.
Obedience training came to the fore and a display
of up to 10 dogs became a regular site at shopping
centres around Sydney raising money for various charities.
In October 1967, Joan Cudd, Ascotheath Dalmatians,
UK, became the first overseas Dalmatian specialist
to judge our Club Show.
1970's were marked by enthusiasm to promote the breed
and the welfare of Dalmatians. Membership increased
dramatically and the Club participated in 3 Sydney
Waratah Festival Parades. The giant Dalmatians, Spot
and Blot, made an appearance. A dalathon was held
in Centennial Park in 1977 with 60 Dallies and owners
taking part and raised $4726 for Guide Dogs for the
1972 the Club dropped the words "of Australia" from
its name, in accordance with a ruling from the ANKC,
and became The Dalmatian Club.
National Dalmatian Council (Australia) was formed
Club hosted the 3rd National Specialty at Easter 1988.
This was the first time we had held a show indoors
and it turned out to be an excellent decision as the
weather was atrocious. The entry was 164 and the Judge
was Dick Smith, Hansom Dalmatians, UK. 18 Dalmatians
were entered in the Obedience Trial.
1980's saw the emergence of Dalmatians as major winners
in the show and obedience rings.
Club became incorporated on 30th July 1991, and became
The Dalmatian Club Inc.
January 26th 1993 (Australia Day) The Dalmatian Club
Inc celebrated its 50th Anniversary with a party at
the site of the Club's 1st Championship Show. 80 past
and present members enjoyed the opportunity to talk
of times past and Dalmatians. The number present included
3 foundation members, Olive Macdougall, Thelma Bowers
and Chas Copeland.
3rd change to the Club's name took place in August
1996, following a request from the ANKC that all breed
clubs include their state in their name, and so the
Club became The Dalmatian Club of NSW Inc.
The Club held the 8th National Specialty
Championship and Obedience Trial & Agility Trial on
Easter Monday 24th April 2000 with an excellent entry
Another landmark was passed when The
Dalmatian Club of NSW Inc. celebrated its 60th
Anniversary with an Anniversary Specialty Show &
Obedience Trial on Saturday 19th April 2003. The Club
continues to change and grow and is looking forward to
hosting the 13th National Specialty Championship Show